Image Map

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Finishing February!!!



And just like that, the shortest month of the year flashes right on by :) Reflecting on this past week, I can feel nothing but a rush of relief as we head on into spring!

February was filled with all kinds of fun and creative things! Through Valentine's Day and the wintery weather, we were able to accomplish a lot. I don't know about any other teacher, but I cannot WAIT until spring air brings us back to outdoor recess! My kinder babes NEED to be out and shake loose some of their crazy :)

This past week, we began subtraction and as my students showed me some minor mastery, I brought out the showstopper: SUBTRACTION BOWLING! Just the mere mention of these words sent 'oohhs' and 'aahhhs' into my little crowd of students. I began by showing the students that we start with 5 pins. When we bowl, we cross out how many pins fell down. We really focused on the key: how many are left. The students loved watching Miss K strike a few pins! I then sent them to their seats and produced mini sets of bowling pins and balls for each table. The students loved setting up their pins and cheered each other as they bowled! It was pure excitement in learning through fun and experience! I can now use the bowling as an incentive and an early finisher!



As the students worked, I called quiet friends to bowl on our large set! They LOVED it and it totally got them focused! We will be able to continue our subtraction bowling into our March week as we reinforce the symbols and learn to write subtraction sentences!!



Hoping that March will come in like a lion and out like a lamb ;)

Happy March ya'll!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment