Image Map

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

St. Patrick's Day in Room 103

TOP OF THE MORNING TO YA🍀


Of all the days in the year, March 17th has always been in my top favorites! Whether I got my love for this day from my Irish loving mother or the fact that I never had school, I always make sure to make the most of the day!! This was my first year having to be at school on St. Patrick's Day and since I couldn't celebrate with my family, I decided to make sure that we did it BIG in Room 103!!! 

I started the day off with a secret letter left by our leprechaun friend, Rory. I projected it onto the SmartBoard and gathered my little rays on the carpet. I read them the note that was left and they sat wide eyed and filled with curiosity!!! Like any good teacher would do, I made sure to mention that the leprechaun would be watching our behavior and we needed to have quiet feet and soft voices so we did not scare him! We then started our first activity, a Leprechaun Glyph! As I read our poem, my students listened attentively so that they didn't mess up our leprechaun! They turned out so cute!!!
  

After our glyphs. We got right into some sight word action! I modeled how to find sight words and add them to our gold coins through 'hunting for gold'!! When they heard hunt for gold, I knew Inhad them hooked!! They sat so quietly waiting for instructions and hanging on every word! I loved watching their excitment as they hunted the room for their gold! 
 

When the students came back from lunch, our leprechaun had left them a little end of the rainbow pot of gold! They were over the moon excited!! We talked about connections with rainbows, pots of gold, and leprechauns! They were so engaged and loved sharing their own connections!! 
They enjoyed their little treat as they wrote about what they would do if they found a pot of gold! I think my favorite answer was "Well I wood be rich." Some of my rays are too funny!!! My little rays were so happy throughout the day as they would exclaim to each other that they heard Rory laugh or saw him run around the room.Watching my students revel in the magic gave me goosebumps. It reminded me of just another reason I am so lucky my passion happens to have a paycheck with it! 

I was so happy to be able to make St. Patrick's Day a fun experience for my kiddos and upon reflecting, I think I had more fun than ever before!!! Looking forward to celebrating St. Patrick's Day in kindergarten for years to come :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment