Image Map

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

WhAtEvEr WeDnEsDaY!




So on my weekly schedule for blog posts, I left Wednesday open for miscellaneous topics! I figured it would be good to have a day in the middle of the week to blog about whatever comes to mind!! I like that it will always be something new and interesting and you will never know what is coming!

As I sat here thinking about what to post, I kept coming back to the common questions I get when I tell people I am a teacher. This question is also a hot topic used as an ice breaker at EVERY training/convention/meetup that teachers attend. This is one that is hard to answer because most of us don't even think about the other options.

Now I bet you are all wondering what is this question????

"What would you be if you weren't a teacher? 

Now for awhile when people asked me this, I always responded, "I have always wanted to be a teacher." Yes, this is true. Ever since I was in second grade I knew I was going to be a teacher. But was that the ONLY career that interested me??? No way!! My passion for teaching, love for children, and inspiration from others has always driven me in the education field and I don't regret it for a second. I absolutely LOVE teaching, however, there are other careers that I have thought about. There are always the fun thoughts of growing up to be a PRINCESS or  MOVIE STAR. Of course those would be fun, but realistic??? Not so much :)

When I really got to thinking, the only other career that I really find to be something I would love is an Interior Designer! If I am watching TV, there is a 99.7% chance that I am watching HGTV or TLC! I find the idea of taking something that someone loves and plans to spend a long time in and turning it into their DREAM HOME through decoration and remodeling to be simply amazing! I love Rehab Addict and Fixer Upper (excuse me, can my family be as cute as Chip & Joanna's?!?!) Watching the whole process really intrigues me and I find myself losing hours of my day to renovation shows!

As I got to thinking, teaching is actually A LOT like interior designing. In the latter, someone has/purchases a house and wants to remodel and turn it into their dream. Similarly, a parent sends their precious baby to our room and it is up to us to mold them into a good student! We have the opportunity of turning a scared child into a courageous child; a uninterested student into an actively engaged learner. We make our students dreams come true one day at a time!!! As you can see, I am a big fan of connections ;)

Plus, I LOVE redesigning my room and am always finding new ways to use my space!!

If you weren't a teacher, WHAT WOULD YOU BE??? 


2 comments:

  1. First of all....we might share a brain! Second of all....OBSESSED with Chip & JoJo ☺️ I could not agree more! I love, love designing classrooms for myself and my friends. It's all about those precious little ones we get and what makes it special and meaningful for them! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you compared interior designing to teaching, what an awesome analogy!!! If I weren't a teacher, I think I might be a planner/organizer?! I love your whatever Wednesday!!!!

    ReplyDelete